Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Defending Your Life

Sleeping on my face just caused me to be tired all day, and my hair still got messed up.  I don't know how those Geisha did it. In the end I came out looking presentable however, my stylist friend at work couldn't get over how awesome I looked. 

My legs still hurt from wearing high heels, but I think my interview went well.  They asked solid questions and I really just want to work there even more now.  It seems to be a little more fashion oriented than I had anticipated, but I think that I did give an accurate representation of how much I did enjoy fashion.  I didn't ask when I would hear back from them, because I feel like it would seem too eager.  I've got a good job now, if I didn't I would have asked.

The rest of the day went by fast, with everyone asking why I was so dressed up.  I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, but didn't want to lie either.  So now everyone will know if I failed.  The worst.

I came home to my Netflix DVD of "Defending Your Life" which is a movie from 1991 about what happens after you die.  I don't know why I'm fascinated with these kind of stories, but it always seems like everyone's take on it is so interesting.  My favorite author Chuck Palahniuk wrote "Damned" and "Doomed" about the afterlife, and it's just awesome to fantasize about what could be after this.  Of course, I have a sneaking suspicion that you just cease to exist and nothing fun happens at all.  Which is why I would prefer these stories to the truth.

In DYL, you stand trial to see if you have the ability to overcome fear.  If you are found having overcome all your fears, you move on to Heaven.  If you are still fearful, you are reincarnated.  It's a very interesting concept, that in order to become a higher being you must be able to overcome fear.  The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth is also very much about overcoming fears. It's funny, because the biggest fear I think I ever overcame was doing the WRONG thing.  I walked out of a very volatile job, literally picked up my stuff and walked right out the door.  It was the scariest thing I ever did, and I got fired from the temp agency I was working for because of it, even though I told them exactly what I was going to do.  Knowing what I know now, I would have been more confident of my decision.  But it's also a situation I would never put myself in again.

No comments: