Friday, May 02, 2014

Happy Tears

I got up this morning to a notification from 23andMe saying my results were ready.  I had been waiting months for this day to arrive, and was excited to know where I had come from.

I was 99.7% European, which wasn't a surprise.  I am 45% Ashkenazi, which means I sure wasn't adopted!  For some reason that made me feel better though, to know that I'm Jewish in my DNA, if not in practice with religion.  It made me feel better, and also made me think of that time I walked out of Hebrew school when I was 7.  I wasn't able to grasp Hebrew and had asked if it was possible I could just continue on in school without it.  The Rabbi basically yelled at me and told me that I wasn't a real Jew if I didn't know Hebrew.  I left and never came back to that Temple.  I don't remember his name, but fuck you sir.  You can't take being Jewish away from me.  It's in my DNA.

I'm also 17% British and Irish (Yah, that much more celebrating on St. P's Day), and 5.4% French and German.  I sent the results to my mom and she said "Where did you get that?  It's wrong, my whole family was from Germany."  Looks like they lied Mom, I'm more Irish than I am German.  Cue the "Not that there is anything wrong with that" from Seinfeld line.

Then I got on the scale and I had lost a pound, so the day was starting out right.  I had lunch with my sister and her boyfriend, and then rode out the rest of the day in good spirits.

I came home and checked the mail and I had gotten my Kickstarter DVD/Blu Ray copy of Veronica Mars in the mail.  I popped it in and watched the making of, and it literally brought me to tears.  I didn't realize how awesome that whole experience had been until just today.  They were very happy tears, and I'd gladly do it again for another movie.

It was G's birthday today, and I had debated if I should text him Happy Birthday or not.  In the end I did send a "Happy Birthday Dude, I hope it's been a good one" late into the night.  I got a text back "Thank you!  Sorry I missed yours in March.  I had just started a new job and my head was a mess, I truly apologize!  I hope we can connect soon and laugh over some drinks and I can be given an opportunity to apologize in person to you.  Your text is a great present today :)"  I told him that it would be great to get together, and we might meet up on Sunday.  I again started crying when I realized how much I had blocked out how great our friendship had been.  What he still did was wrong, and I still can never trust him as much as I did before.  But we can still be friends, and I'm glad that we are giving it another chance.

There were a lot of tears for such a happy day, but the tears were a very big release.  I feel so much better than I felt yesterday when everyone else's misery was weighing heavy on me. Things are looking up!


No comments: