Friday, December 29, 2006

Makes You Think About Herbology In A Different Light

Rodlyman asked if I was sick of the Christmas music. The short answer; always. The longer answer is...well, longer.

Here's the thing about Christmas; First of all, not everyone celebrates it. Yes, I am one of the 2% that does not celebrate the birth of Jesus. In fact, according to some, I killed him. Yes, me personally. By not celebrating Christmas.

It's almost impossible to explain how this time of year makes me feel. I'm gonna try anyway.

Okay...deep breath, all of you. Here we go:

It feels like everyone on earth is a Herbologist. That's right, they think Herbs are the greatest. They worship herbs. You don't mind this, it's just not for you. You believe in something different. Once a year they celebrate their annual HerbFest, when they believe Herbs first came into existence. At least, that's how the holiday got it's start.

The problem is that they think everyone is a Herbologist. Everywhere you go, people are offering you Valerian Root and Herb Tea...and you just don't care. You get worn down with people telling you "The Message" of HerbFest is to bring people together, when really all it's about is material possessions. You get knocked down in a store for a scarf, and you can't get away from the insipid music at every corner. It's not about St. John's Wort, it's not about togetherness. It's about knocking that old lady over in the parking lot so that you can get the closest parking spot to the mall.

That's kinda how I feel about Christmas. I don't have anything against the Christian religion itself, but having it in my face the whole month of December (and let's face it, most of November) tends to make me...let's just say, more than a little crabby.

I know I might stir up a lot of controversy with this post, but that's how I feel. I don't expect a lot of people to understand the way I feel, and that's fine. But I won't change my beliefs.

No comments: