Sunday, December 17, 2006

I Just Need it to Hold My Stuff

I think of handbags as pure function. When I got out looking for a handbag I look for just a few things;

  • Is the price reasonable?
  • Will it hold all my shit?
  • Does it look like my grandma pawned it off on me? (If it does, I won't buy it!)
  • Will it match..basically, is it black?
As long as it fits the criteria, I will buy it. It hasn't ever been a problem, me finding a purse.

Not until now.

In-between the last time I found a purse ($5 at Old Navy, it lasted for over a year!) and now, handbags have suddenly become a different thing. It's not longer a place to hold all your shit, but a status symbol.

Coach is the perfect example of how ludicrous the "handbag industry" has gotten. This is a $300 dollar bag from Coach:
Do you see all that writing on the bag? Yeah, that's telling you that it's a Coach bag and it's only made from the best materi--Who Cares??? You just paid $300 to advertise for Coach! A quick Google search showed me that there are some handbags that cost more than I paid for my car. My car!

Regardless, my $5 bag from Old Navy is about to die on me. I had to go shopping for a new bag. I ended up paying $75. If you are grading on a curve, that's not bad.

But I'm still angry I had to pay that much for a damn bag. It better last until I die, because I never want to spend that much money on another bag again. The label says it's Kathy Van Zeeland. In fact, Kathy included a little note inside the handbag thanking me.

I'm glad someone is happy about it. I'm still a little sick to my stomach. Maybe it'll grow on me, but for now it's functional, and I'm content.





Do you think I made the right decision?

No comments: