Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Dodging the Bullet

I'm about to be shot, and it's all my fault.

I told everyone that if I got to a certain weight, someone needed to shoot me. I thought, "There is no way anyone would let themselves get to that weight if they could help it."

I'm officially two pounds from a bullet to the enormous gut. My great idea of actually hitting my caloric intake everyday was a bad one. In the past few months, I've gained a few pounds instead of lost them. Apparently, I didn't need the amount of calories that everyone said I needed.

So, for fear of being shot, I'm buckling down. And I'm doing it my way.

First off, the gym is too far away and the classes, the only things I go to, are at times that aren't good for me. So I'm going to cancel my gym membership. I'm also willingly letting the house go to seed a little bit. The dust will be there tomorrow, my health might not be.

In order to make a change, I geeked out and bought Shape-Up shoes. I didn't intend to buy them, but I had a coupon so I walked into the store, intent to get a $50.00 pair of sneakers and have something comfortable to work for the weekend.

On a whim, I decided to try on the Shape-Ups, and was shocked to find it actually had a high arch support. My arches are so high that it's almost impossible to find shoes. Somehow, the inserts that I buy never quite work out either. So, usually, my shoes are uncomfortable. I hate shoes.

I know. I might be the only woman on the planet to udder that sentence.

Anyway, the shoes were amazing. And I was mad that they were amazing. Because they look stupid. Stupid and embarrassing, and I'm going to need longer pants to hide the shame.

On the plus side, I have a new Spice Girl name, and will be going on tour in early 2011.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should have been shot about a year ago. Long story short, I hate working out, love eating and have NEVER in my life run a single mile. Fast forward to my jeans the other day...it's not a pretty story - I downloaded Couch 2 5K on iTunes. I have no intention of running a 5 K, but I needed a project. Good LUCK!

Anonymous said...

I should have been shot a year ago. Won't go there, but check out the iTunes app Couch 2 5K. I'm not running a race anytime soon, but it has kicked my rather large arse.

TextPro said...

Wow, $2.99 for one app? Crazy talk! I'm so cheap!

Actually, I'm going to make my claim to fame "Just Dance" on the Wii. I'm trying to get in at least every other day, for an hour. It's loads of fun, doesn't feel like work, and I don't have to leave my living room to make an ass out of myself!

But, everyone has to find their own way, and I hope Couch to 5K works for you!

Sarah said...

I am in week 2 of the Couch 2 5k program- you can print it off the internet for free- and I think I am going to give up and die. I don't know what happened between week 1 and 2, but something obviously did.

mypixieblog said...

I have the Shape Ups, too! I know they take some getting used to, but trust me when I say that they have completely toned my legs and butt. Though it took me some time to get used to them (and if I don't wear them for a week or two and then put them on again--HOLY BURN!), they are well worth the investment.

Best of luck to you. I know what you mean about working out but I've recently discovered Bikram yoga and no longer pay for gym membership (I found a place with $8 classes). Anyway, I think the key is finding something YOU enjoy and then sticking with it. Let us know how it goes :)

www.mypixieblog.com

TextPro said...

Cornflake: I've never tried Bikram Yoga before, but I've always wanted to, it seems like SO much fun. One of these days I'll have to get around to it!