Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Results

I sat in the doctors office, my heart pounding.  My mind kept going back to all those reality shows with the obese people sweating through a workout.  I was going to have to go on one of those shows.  Obviously all the working out and eating right were not going to be enough.  The doctor was going to tell me nothing was wrong, that I was just a lazy fat person.  I was only going to get bigger, and soon even Lane Bryant wouldn't be able to get me into clothes.

It was over.

He walked in the door and sat down.  I braced myself for the bad news.  Almost all I could hear was my heart in my ears.

"Well, you've got a thyroid condition, for sure.  Actually about 1 in 8 women have this; basically your thyroid just checked out.  You're tired all the time because your metabolism has been in the toilet for a long time.  Now, sadly, this is for the long term.  You'll be on this medication the rest of your life."

I looked up at him, relieved.  "I can live with that."

I think I can finally start to live again because of it.  I'm on my way back up.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm sorry. The good news is that the medicine is cheap. The bad news is that it's going to feel like you're a diabetic patient, trying to find the right amount of drug to take. It took me several years to find the right dosage. Just listen to your body. If you start to feel off, tired or depressed, get yourself back to the doctor.

Miss Lime said...

Thank goodness the shivering anticipation is over. Ensure you get your periodical checks with the doc. And it will be all okay. Take care!

J said...

Glad that you have an answer finally. Take care!