Thursday, October 28, 2010

Why I Never Subscribed to Marie Clare in the 1st Place

So, there is all this controversy surrounding this Marie Claire online article.  I heard about the backlash long before I actually read the article.  It was exactly as bad as I had feared it would be.  Basically she takes on the show Mike and Molly, which she has never seen, and she basically says that she can't stand to watch fat people, and doesn't think anyone should.  An actual quote:

So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything.

This made me so steaming mad I had to write about it.  Her, and the magazine she represents, are the problems with society dealing with people who are overweight.

I recently got paid to write an article about how my overweight ass has been treated in certain stores.  Just today I went in to get a pair of jeans and was treated as if I was sewage when I asked for my size (which they do carry, but they didn't have any in stock).

Not only is being overweight in my DNA (both my parents were obese, and their parents), but I've been made to feel like the scum of the earth because I was overweight. 

I worked out for 9 months straight once, 5 days a week, with a limited diet.  In fact, I had a friend with me doing exactly the same things I was doing.  She lost 25 pounds, and I didn't even lose one.  My being overweight is not for lack of trying.  And because of women like Maura Kelly, even though I try my best, I still feel like someone that can't even walk across the room without making someone uncomfortable.

Jackie Warner was quoted in this article: “We need to handle this as an addiction. It’s an emotional addiction, and that should always be handled with love.”

And she's right.  After losing my job, I feel like I can't spend money on anything, especially food.  Even though I know it's not good for me, I frequently go without meals in order to save money.  Our house is a house of condiments, and my husband gets free meals at work, so he is always taken care of.  Even when I had a job and was eating, I was frequently coming in at about 1,000 calories under what I should've been eating.  And it doesn't help.  I'm still overweight.  The scale keeps going up.  No matter what I do.

Everytime I want to eat, I look at my body, then I look at a copy of Marie Claire, and lose my appetite.  I want to be back to that glorious 115 that I was before my metabolism crashed.  If I leave the house, I have to face those people.  Those people that judge me, even though I'm just walking past.  They don't make it any easier to just go from day to day.  The trip to the mall today was so disheartening that I came home and didn't leave again.  I don't want to go anywhere, because it's uncomfortable being watched like a monkey in a zoo.  A fat monkey.  A freak show.

Women like her are the problem.  They make it harder to even go outside.  It's no wonder most people eat their feelings.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I haven't read the article, nor have I seen "Mike and Molly," but I'm a fan of the actress who plays Molly based on her work in "Samantha Who?" and "Gilmore Girls". I think she's very beautiful. Society is changing. That's why non-traditional is the new thing and shows like "Parenthood" and "Modern Family" are doing exceedingly well in the ratings. I'd be interested to see how "Mike and Molly" does.

BTW, have you ever had your thyroid checked?

Lindsey said...

I haven't read the article either but I totally understand. When you're not stick thin you're completely frowned upon. Since I gained weight this year I can't even stand to go shopping for clothes, it just depresses the hell out of me.

TextPro said...

Sarah-Sadly, Mike and Molly isn't a good show. It's just bad writing. But, as Roseanne has shown us, fat people can be in a good show, and it can be enjoyable for all. But yes, Melissa McCarthy is beautiful.

Thyroid is going to be the first thing checked when insurance kicks in January. :-)

Lindsey-I can't go shopping either. I actually saw one of my friends say she was heading to Goodwill with a bunch of clothes on Facebook yesterday, and I cut her off at the pass and went through, got a bunch of cute things! I'll do anything not to shop.